“If you know in your heart that you’re doing the right thing and you’re just afraid of the consequences, you just have to do it. You have to do what you know in your heart is right.”
Last year, 26-year-old Sarah Cummins cancelled her wedding and invited the homeless to her reception instead. She says her one regret is not using her viral platform to do more, but she was scared. Read her full story: SmartHERNews.com
Amazon Prime Day highlights a showdown in online shopping – Who will dominate delivery?
The race between the top retailers to get to your front door.
Summer Shopping Holiday
- Amazon Prime Day: Starts 3pm Monday for 36 hrs.
- Special deals to “Prime Members” who pay an annual fee ($119) for free 2-day shipping.
- More than half of America’s households are Amazon Prime members – proof that online convenience & free, fast shipping matters to consumers.
Who Can Compete With Amazon Delivery?
Walmart Raises Hand
- Bought retailer Jet.com in 2016.
- Walmart: 90% of Americans live within 10 miles of one of its stores.
- 5,000+ stores = instant shipping centers IF they can master logistics. Recently launched same-day text-order trial ‘Jetblack.’
Amazon’s New Strategy
Turn small businesses into drivers
“Amazon will take an active role in helping interested entrepreneurs start, set up and manage their own delivery business. Successful owners can earn as much as $300,000 in annual profit operating a fleet of up to 40 delivery vehicles.”
That's not all. Target bought a company called "Shipt" to try to up its delivery game. A noticeable trend across these major retailers? Competition for your grocery shopping. In the meantime, Amazon Prime Day actually lifts shopping for other sites. Read more: SmartHerNews.com
“We’ve got a fraught bilateral relationship. The collective blood pressure between the U.S. & Russia is off-the-charts high so it’s a good thing these presidents are getting together.”
“I was really happy to get this far. For all the moms out there, I was playing for you today.”
“Today the digital infrastructure that serves this country is literally under attack.”
“People wondered why our marriage came to an end. I think it’s because some jealousy started to creep in. … Bruce never got over the fact that I rocked the bald look better than he did.”
“I don’t really realize yet what it is. The World Cup, it’s a lot. I’m very proud of this team.”
OUTSIDE THE WEST
Protests flare-up around the world while a spotlight shines on the Helsinki summit between Presidents Trump & Putin.
Here’s 2 countries you should watch outside of the West… and why they matter.
- At least 10 people died this weekend, raising the death toll to more than 300 since protests began in April.
- Opposition groups protest gov’t run by President Daniel Ortega.
- Critics say Ortega strangling democratic institutions in a deadly power grab; supporters say protesters are “criminals” or “terrorists.”
“Nicaragua’s descent into chaos makes the population vulnerable to lawlessness, particularly gang activity and drug trafficking, and encourages mass migration.”
- Reports of 2 dead from multi-day, multi-city protests vs. the gov’t.
- Protestors say basic services (like water and electricity) not provided.
- Bigger Picture: Iraq doesn’t have a *new* gov’t since May election; chaos not good for security as politicians try building coalition gov’t.
Iran worked to create a stable neighbor after invasion of ISIS, filling a vacuum with withdrawal of U.S. Iran also facing domestic protests over last several weeks for basic services. More at SmartHERNews.com
“Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly of wisdom.”
President Trump, joined by his wife, met Queen Elizabeth for tea Friday during his European trip. Queen Elizabeth has met with every U.S. President since 1951 - except for Pres. Johnson.
WORLD CUP FINAL
France vs. Croatia
Attention casual soccer fans, it’s time to tune in (and have a mimosa)…soccer’s biggest stage is set for Sunday brunch.
- 1st World Cup final in history.
- 1st team to avoid defeat after trailing in three knockout matches.
- 2nd smallest nation in World Cup history to make the final (after Uruguay.)
- Team will finally get to wear famed (& favored) red & white shirts for the first time in a month (because they clashed with opponents).
- One of the tournament favorites since the start.
- Only won the World Cup once, 20 years ago (after beating Croatia semifinals.)
- One CBS analyst described the team as a “terrific blend of youth, experience, speed & strength.”
The US men's team failed to qualify for this year's tournament for the first time since 1986 which has been trouble for TV ratings; Fox is expecting to lose money on this year's World Cup. Read more here & see complete list of World Cup winners.
“Self-made means having succeeded in life unaided.
Used in a sentence: Forbes says that Kylie Jenner is a self-made woman.”
“I wouldn’t call it a mystery, but I would say that it’s a bit of a puzzle…”
“Let me be clear, unequivocally and under oath: not once in my 26 years of defending my nation did my personal opinions impact any official action I took.”
“He was sort of the guy that would argue both sides. I don’t think he sees himself as an ideologue in any way. I think he sees himself as someone who has intellectual rigor in how he looks at the law.”
Will President Trump “reshape” the West?
What happened at the NATO summit & why the timing matters.
What You Should Know
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization
- 29 countries (Europe & U.S./Canada)
- Alliance dates back to 1949
- “Collective defense” (an attack against one Ally is considered as an attack against all Allies)
What’s The Drama?
- At NATO summit, Pres. Trump criticized member countries (again) for not contributing more to common defense.
- Pres. used term “inappropriate” several times describing biz deals Germany has with Russia while not contributing more to NATO & wanting U.S. protection (aka $$$); described situation as unfair to American taxpayer
“…Germany is just paying a little bit over 1 percent, whereas the United States, in actual numbers, is paying 4.2 percent of a much larger GDP. So I think that’s inappropriate also. You know, we’re protecting Germany, we’re protecting France. We’re protecting everybody. And yet we’re paying a lot of money to protect.”
“I agree with you that we have to do make sure that our allies are investing more. The good news is that allies have started to invest more in defense. After years of cutting defense budgets, they have started to add billions to their defense budgets. And last year was the biggest increase in defense spending across Europe and Canada in that generation.”
Why Timing Matters?
- NATO troops deployed to areas like Poland as a way of countering an emboldened Russia (Russia ignored international borders & “took” Crimea from Ukraine).
- Pres. Trump criticized NATO members (who want protection from Russia) AND pointed out their own relationships w/the Kremlin before his mtg w/Russian Pres. Putin next week in Helsinki.
“It was scary. I feel like I’m a pretty tough guy. But, this storm, it made me shake uncontrollably.”
“If you tell people anywhere in the world that 17 and 18-year-old girls are arrested for their dance, happiness and beauty on charges of spreading indecency, while child rapists and others are free, they will laugh! Because for them, it’s unbelievable!”
WHERE DOES HE STAND?
A closer look at the next Supreme Court nominee.
“A judge must be independent and must interpret the law, not make the law…. “
RE: A President facing criminal investigations
“… a President who is concerned about an ongoing criminal investigation is almost inevitably going to do a worse job as President.”
RE: Gun Rights
“Semi-automatic rifles, like semi-automatic handguns, have not traditionally been banned and are in common use by law-abiding citizens for self-defense in the home, hunting, and other lawful uses.”
RE: Gov’t Surveillance
“….the Government’s metadata collection program is entirely consistent with the Fourth Amendment.”
“…the Government has permissible interests in favoring fetal life, protecting the best interests of a minor, and refraining from facilitating abortion…. so long as it does not impose an undue burden on a woman seeking an abortion.”
Some critics of the Affordable Care Act point the finger at Kavanaugh because the Supreme Court echoed his logic from an earlier case regarding treating the individual mandate as a tax rather than a penalty when the high court upheld the law in 2015.
Want a submarine ride with your retail therapy? Or skiing perhaps?
The $4B bet to build the largest shopping center in America, even as mall vacancies climb to a 6-year high.
AMERICAN DREAM MALL
- 2 times the size of current largest mall, King of Prussia in PA.
- Developer estimates 30M people will visit/year – that’s 10M less than Mall of America.
- Critics warn on traffic, pollution & mall saturation in the area.
- Estimated to open by 2022, but permits, financing & infrastructure still needed.
“We’re not building a mega-mall. We’re not in the mall business.”
Don Ghermezian, project developer
- 3.5M sq ft of retail space & 1.5M sq ft for entertainment.
- Dreamwork-themed water park, ferris wheel, & Legoland mini theme park.
- Possible indoor ski slope, lake with submarine rides, roller coaster, aquarium & permanent Cirque du Soleil show.
Online Shopping Weighs
- Malls are emptiest they’ve been since 2012 (after the recession).
- Bon Ton, Sears, JC Penney & Toys R Us close up shop.
- Perspective: For every person in the U.S., there is 24 sq ft of retail space. (vs. Canada 16 sq ft, Australia 11 sq ft & U.K. 5 sq ft)
Mall of America was the first of its kind when it opened back in 1992. This new Miami complex isn't the only "destination mall" in the works. Click to see where one is opening next year & how it will compare to Miami.
“We pay far too much and they pay far too little, but we’ll work it out.”
“Dear America, appreciate your allies, after all you don’t have that many. And dear Europe, spend more on your defense.”
“He is recovering at his home and will be fine.”
“We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue serving peanuts on all flights…”
Life is too short to waste time filtering through headlines searching for the facts. That’s when we realized the need for a quick, trustworthy news source that makes staying up-to-date easy and interesting.
Our Goal is to Clear the Clutter. We’re committed to providing non-partisan news, in small servings, available wherever you are, whenever you want it.
And for the Record: We Believe You’re Already Smart. We don’t need to tell you what to think or how to feel or what to believe. We just want to equip you with clear facts so you’re prepared for any conversation, any vote, any choice and never feel like you’re falling behind.
Bullet-Points Without The Bias ~ We’re bringing you #SmartHERNews.