March 31, 2021
“Usually I’m just at home doing online school and there’s not much I can really do to fight back against the virus.”
- The information about this study is not yet published – The data being quoted in headlines around the world is based on Pfizer’s press release.
- Pfizer says 18 cases of COVID-19 were diagnosised in the placebo group versus zero cases in those receiving the vaccine. The study included 2,260 teens.
- The Pfizer vaccine is currently granted Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for those 16-and-older.
- Pfizer says it will ask the FDA for EUA of the vaccine for those 12-and-older within weeks.
- Just over 1 in 10 cases of COVID-19 in America are children.
- Why This Matters: While U.S. officials floated the idea of vaccinating high schoolers in the Fall of 2021, this could potentially move up the timeline for when the COVID-19 vaccine is available to those 12 and older.
by Jenna Lee,