Robert Mueller’s Special Counsel investigation handed down its SEVENTH indictment in the probe into Russia’s influence on 2016 election
How Did We Get Here?
Former FBI Director Robert Mueller is appointed by the Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein to lead an investigation into the Russian government’s efforts to interfere with America’s 2016 Presidential election
FYI: Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself from Russia inquiry
Former WH advisor George Papadopolous pleads guilty to lying to the FBI about his contacts with Russians during election
Paul Manafort (Trump’s former campaign manager) and Rick Gates (Manafort’s associate) are indicted by a D.C federal grand jury on 12-counts and plead not guilty
Michael Flynn, Trump’s former national security adviser, pleads guilty to lying to the FBI about conversations with Russia’s ambassador
A CA man unconnected to Trump pleads guilty to identity fraud
13 Russian nationals & 3 Russian entities are charged with conducting “information warfare” against U.S.
A A Dutch lawyer living in U.S. pleads guilty to lying to FBI about interactions with Rick Gates
Paul Manafort (Trump’s former campaign manager) & Rick Gates (Manafort’s associate) are indicted by a VA federal grand jury on 32-counts
Rick GatesA pleads guilty to 2 counts (lying to FBI & conspiracy) in DC & feds agree to drop VA charges against him
“It’s very clear that Russia meddled in the election. It’s also very clear that it didn’t have an impact on the election. And it’s also very clear that the Trump campaign didn’t collude with the Russians in any way for this process to take place.”
Press Secretary Sarah Sanders, Feb 20. 2018
For Your Consideration
The latest 32-count indictment against Paul Manafort & Rick Gates accuses them of filing false tax returns, failing to file foreign bank accounts, and bank fraud – although the crimes they’re accused of are unrelated to their work for Trump, some took place around US election.
Indictments & guilty pleas are speeding up.
Some cases have serious potential jail time at stake; others will never see the inside of a courtroom.
We don’t know when the investigation will end; there isn’t a timeline, but the pace of indictments indicates progress.
- Special Counsel’s Office: https://www.justice.gov/sco
- A timeline of key events in the Trump-Russia probe: https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2017/10/31/a-timeline-of-key-events-in-the-trump-russia-probe
- Former Trump campaign aide George Papadopoulos pleads guilty to lying to the FBI agents in Mueller probe: www.latimes.com/politics/washington/la-na-pol-essential-washington-updates-former-trump-campaign-aide-george-1509374196-htmlstory.html
- Former Trump adviser Flynn pleads guilty to lying to FBI: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/michael-flynn-charged-with-making-false-statements-to-fbi
- Who is the California man who just pleaded guilty to unwittingly aiding Russian interference in the 2016 election- www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-richard-pinedo-mueller-investigation-20180216-story.html
- Dutch lawyer pleads guilty to lying to FBI in Mueller probe: https://www.axios.com/dutch-lawyer-pleads-guilty-who-is-van-der-swaan-manafort-ad884304-c591-47d3-b179-9cedd5bd4534.html
- Special counsel files 32-count indictment against former Trump campaign officials: abcnews.go.com/Politics/paul-manafort-rick-gates-indicted-32-counts/story?id=53286392
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/press-briefing-press-secretary-sarah-sanders-022018/
by Jenna Lee,