- Supreme Court will not hear an expedited legal appeal on DACA.
- Trump administration requested The Supremes look at case when lower courts halted President Trump’s unwinding of the program.
- DACA kicked back to lower courts. Fate & timeline unknown.
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals:
The 2012 Obama-era policy granted provisional work permits and temporary protection from deportation for nearly 800,000 young people brought to U.S. illegally as kids, but NO pathway to citizenship.
How We Got Here:
Sept 2017: President Trump announced repeal of DACA program & gave Congress until March 5th to come up with broader immigration reform.
January 2018: California federal court issued a preliminary injunction halting repeal of DACA program & ordered gov’t to resume accepting DACA renewal applications.
Why It Matters
- Supreme Court’s decision not to hear appeal early says nothing about the merits of the case or how court might ultimately rule.
- DACA recipients can continue to apply for DACA renewals while the California case works its way through the court system.
- March 5th deadline is moot; Pres. Trump cannot cancel program during ongoing court challenges.
Next stop for DACA? 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. More Here:
- Supreme Court rejects Trump over ‘Dreamers’ immigrants: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-immigration/supreme-court-rejects-trump-over-dreamers-immigrants-idUSKCN1GA1UO
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals: Response to January 2018 Preliminary Injunction: https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/deferred-action-childhood-arrivals-response-january-2018-preliminary-injunction
- Facts on DACA: https://www.factcheck.org/ 2018/01/the-facts-on-daca/
- When Does DACA Expire? The Supreme Court Just Gave Dreamers More Time: time.com/5175496/supreme-court-daca-dreamers-deadline/
- Supreme Court Declines To Take DACA Case, Leaving It In Place For Now: https://www.npr.org/2018/02/26/588813001/supreme-court-declines-to-take-up-key-daca-case-for-now
by Jenna Lee,