- Unaccompanied Alien Children Program: https://www.acf.hhs.gov/orr/programs/ucs
- Unaccompanied Alien Children Facts and Data: https://www.acf.hhs.gov/orr/about/ucs/facts-and-data
- Testimony of Steven Wagner on HHS responsibilities for the Care and Placement of Unaccompanied Alien Children: https://www.acf.hhs.gov/olab/resource/testimony-of-steven-wagner-on-responsiblities-for-the-care-and-placement-of-unaccompanied-alien-children
- Statement by HHS Deputy Secretary on Unaccompanied Alien Children Program: https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2018/05/28/statement-hhs-deputy-secretary-unaccompanied-alien-children-program.html
- Sorting out the facts about nearly 1,500 lost children, Trump family separation policy: www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2018/may/29/sorting-out-facts-about-nearly-1500-lost-children-/
“U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions in April announced a “zero-tolerance” policy to increase prosecution of immigrants who come into the country illegally.
In cases where a parent crosses illegally with his or her child, the parent will be referred for prosecution and the child directed to HHS for care and custody while the childa s immigration case is resolved.
At a May 15 Senate committee hearing, DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said that families who present themselves at ports of entry seeking asylum are able to stay together. “