99 Years Ago Today:
19th Amendment Passes
The amendment protecting a woman’s right to vote is not even 100 years old & yet today, not only are a greater % of women registered to vote, but more women than men vote in pres. elections.
Flip For Why It Matters
The Women’s Vote
In 2016, Hillary Clinton received 54% of female votes.
Pres.A Trump receivedA 52% of the white female vote – the largest female voting bloc. This helped secure his victory.
FYI: 56% of women (compared to 44% of men) identify with, or lean toward, the Democratic Party.
Why did it take so long?
In 1919, 41 years after it was first introduced, Congress passed the 19th Amendment, guaranteeing women the right to vote.
1 year, 2 months & 2 weeks later, the necessary three-fourths of the states ratified the 19th Amendment.
On Aug 18, 1920, Tennessee became the 36th and final state to ratify.
Did you know that during the last census the United States was almost 50/50 women:men? So when there are more women than men voting…there are really MORE women than men voting!
- 19th Amendment Ratification Fact Sheet: https://www.archives.gov/files/exhibits/nates/files/19th-amendment-ratification-fact-sheet.pdfA The 19th Amendment states: 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex. 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this Article by appropriate legislation.
- Voting and Registration in the Election of November 2016: https://www.census.gov/data/tables/time-series/demo/voting-and-registration/p20-580.html
- Gender Differences in Voter Turnout – CAWP – Rutgers University: www.cawp.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/resources/genderdiff.pdf
- How Hillary Clinton lost: https://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/politics/clinton-votes-african-americans-latinos-women-white-voters/index.html
- Trends in party affiliation among demographic groups: www.people-press.org/2018/03/20/1-trends-in-party-affiliation-among-demographic-groups/
- Age/Sex Composition:A https://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-03.pdf
by Jenna Lee,