TRIPLE CROWN HOPES
After winning the Kentucky Derby & Preakness, undefeated Justify looks to add a third jewel to his crown by winning Saturday’s Belmont Stakes.
Flip: RARE MARE
TRIPLE CROWN HISTORY
- Only 12 horses have achieved the Triple Crown.
- One of the most difficult accomplishments in horse racing due to grueling schedule with 3 races in 2 months – ending with Belmont Stakes in NY.
- Most recently, AmericanA Pharaoh won the Triple Crown in 2015 – ending a 37-year Triple Crown drought.
Horse to Know: Justify
- Curse Breaker: Won Kentucky Derby without competing as a 2-yr-old, a first in 136 years.
- Tough guy: Overcame a hoof bruiseA toA win Preakness Stakes.
- But will he be tired? It’s his 6th race since mid-February.
- Justify is favored with 4/5 odds.
- Biggest challengers?A Bravado, Vino Rosso, & Hofburg
Watch Saturday at 4pm ET on NBC. Fun Fact: an equal percentage of men & women tend to watch the Belmont Stakes/Triple Crown, which is pretty rare for a sporting event, according to NBC. Click to see what other two sporting events can boast that viewing ratio.
- HISTORY: List of Triple Crown Winners:
- At Belmont, a Triple Crown More Than Triples the Attention:
According to NBC, the Belmont Stakes typically attracts a virtually even split between female and male viewers, enhancing its appeal to advertisers. There are only a handful of sports where you can say that, Miller said. The Triple Crown falls into that category as do the Olympics and the Super Bowl.
by Jenna Lee,