Are 3 Californias Better than 1?
Voters will get the chance to decide on a plan to split the state up this November.
Meet what could potentially be “the 3 Cals.”
Is this, Like, You know, Like, for real?
Proposal Calls for 3 States:
- Northern California:A includes Bay Area all the way to the Oregon border.
- Southern CaliforniaA begins in Fresno & covers most of the southern state.
- California: begins in Los Angeles County & covers most of the coastal areas.
Man behind plan is famed investor Tim Draper with a history of making good bets. (Heard of Skype? Tesla?)
He says plan will “simply divide the state into smaller, more manageable populations.”
He’s been working on this for years. In 2014, he tried & failed to break up California into 6 different states.
Could it Happen? Maybe.
Critics argue problems would multiply with 3 new governors divvying up interconnected operations (water, parks, prisons).
‘There are so many fundamentally flawed aspects to this.”
BUT…A ‘In this day and age, anything can happen politically.’
Steven Maviglio, CA Democratic adviser
Making it happen would require not only approval by California voters but Congress. Click to learn just how long it has been since the U.S. added a state or split one up. (Hint: It’s been awhile.)
- Sacramento Bee: Californians to vote on splitting state three ways:
- Why does this investor think 3 Californias are better than 1?
The U.S. hasn”t added new states since 1959, or split an existing one since the Civil War with West Virginia”s 1863 divorce from Virginia.A
- Cal3 Supporters website: A https://cal3.com
by Jenna Lee,