“THE FOREVER WAR”
Revelations about new U.S. soldier deaths in places like Niger & Somalia and strikes in Syria have lawmakers questioning use of a nearly 17-year-old law.
how long is too long?
- AUMF = Authorization for Use of Military Force
- AUMF became public law on Sept. 18, 2001 after 9/11 attacks.
- Allows president to use ‘all necessary & appropriate forces against’ terrorists who committed or aided in 9/11 attacks a particularly, Al Qaeda & Taliban.
What’s the Controversy?
- Nearly 17 years later, AUMF is still being used, allowing Presidents Bush, Obama, & Trump to also fight other terrorists around world.
- America’s war on terror now stretches to no less than 76 countries (39% of the planet).
- Lawmakers: time to take war off “autopilot.”
Bipartisan AUMF Proposal
from Sens. Corker (R-TN) & Kaine (D-VA)
- Broadly, it says a president can’t engage in prolonged or repeated incursions without consulting Congress on broader strategy.
- Critics say it flips Constitution, requires 2/3rds to disapprove war.
- Fate unclear; Congress looks to avoid messy debate before midterms.
In a separate study, released in November, Costs of War Project estimated the war on terror’s price tag (with some future expenses included) has reached $5.6T – which some may argue is worth every penny. Click to read more & you decide.
- Congress May Declare the Forever War:A
- Brown University”s Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs Costs of War Project:
http://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/PLUS, Map Current U.S. Counterterror War Locations:A [http://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/files/cow/imce/papers/Current%20US%20Counterterror%20War%20LocationsCosts%20of%20War%20Project%20Map.pdf](http://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/files/cow/imce/papers/Current%20US%20Counterterror%20War%20LocationsCosts%20of%20War%20Project%20Map.pdf)A
- Senators introduce new war powers resolution (from April):
- ‘Enemy attack’ in Somalia leaves 1 US soldier dead, 4 wounded:
- “An Endless War”: Why 4 U.S. Soldiers Died in a Remote African Desert:
by Jenna Lee,