GOING TO POT?
Canada becomes the 2nd nation in the world to legalize marijuana – will the U.S. follow suit?
New signs suggest the existing U.S. federal ban against marijuana could become a ban against the federal gov’t interfering in states where it’s legal.
The (many) marijuana laws of the land:
- In 1996, CA became 1st state to legalize medical marijuana.
- In 1998, medical marijuana was legal in 5 states. By 2008, that number nearly tripled. Today, it is legal in 29 states + DC.
- In 2012, Colorado & Washington became 1st statesA to legalize recreational marijuana.A Today, it is legal in 9 states + DC.
Marijuana: State vs. Feds
Marijuana is illegal under federal law. But, as more states began to legalize it within their borders, the federal gov’t shifted its focus away from prosecuting *most* marijuana-related crimes in situations where there is compliance with state laws.
Instead, opting to focus on “serious drug traffickers while taking into account state and local laws.”
- January 2018:A Atty General Jeff Sessions rescinded Obama-era policies that eased enforcement of federal marijuana laws, instead opting for a tougher stance.
- June 2018: Just last week, Pres. Trump indicated he is willing to loosen the federal blanket ban on marijuana in states where it is legal.
Something To Consider:
- Pres. Trump did NOT say he will end the federal ban on marijuana.
- However, he DID say he is willing to support a federal bipartisan bill, which would ease enforcement of the federal ban on marijuana in states where it’s legal.
- The bill would NOT legalize marijuana on the federal level or force states to take any action.
Po$$ible motivation? Economic Benefits. According to one cannabis analytics firm, sales from medical & recreational cannabis will reach $11.7B in 2018 and $25B in 7 years.
- Canadian senate passes weed bill but legalization delayed:
- Trump says he is likely to support ending blanket federal ban on marijuana:
- State Marijuana Laws in 2018 Map:
- Warren, Gardner Unveil Marijuana Bill Easing Federal Enforcement:
- Marijuana industry poised for supercharged growth thanks to President Trump: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/04/20/marijuana-industry-growth-president-trump/520541002/
by Jenna Lee,