WATER WISE & SUMMER SAFE
As if bathing suit shopping isn’t scary enough, why July is the month to be extra careful in and out of the water.
Flip: Deadliest Month
100%+ increase in July
July/August = deadliest months
- Drowning is #2 cause of accidental death in kids (0-14); #1 cause of death is car crashes.
- Men & boys are more likely to drown; 80% of deaths are male.
- For adolescents and adults, alcohol use is involved in up to 70% of drowning deaths.
July 4th = deadliest day on the road in America.
“Each year on the Independence Day holiday in the U.S., an average of 118.4 lives are lost in crashes, making it the most consistently deadly day of the year across the five-year study period.”
Insurance Institute For Highway Safety
Water-Associated Disease Outbreaks
Majority Occur In July.
- 60% of the outbreaks occurred during July.
- 140 water-associated disease outbreaks linked to fresh or marine waters (ex: lakes, rivers, oceans)A from 2000 – 2014.
- Outbreaks caused 4,958 illnesses & 2 fatalities.
Unfortunately when we look at accidental deaths, summer is not the carefree period we’d like it to be,’ Ken Kolosh, manager of statistics at the National Safety Council who compiles data over the last 98-years.
- When it Comes to Accidental Deaths, United States is Approaching Deadliest Stretch of the Year
- Drowning: https://www.cdc.gov/healthcommunication/toolstemplates/entertainmented/tips/Drowning.html
- Independence Day ranks highest in average daily crash deathsA http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/independence-day-ranks-highest-in-average-daily-crash-deaths
- Why July Is the Most Dangerous Month To Go Swimming:
- Outbreaks Associated with Untreated Recreational Water: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6725a1.htm
by Jenna Lee,