Mama Making History
2nd *elected* world leader to give birth while in office returns to work.
Timing Is Everything
New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern gave birth to a girl named “Neve” on June 21.
June 21 would have been Pakistan’s late two-time Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto’s 65th birthday.
In 1990, Bhutto became the FIRST world leader to give birth in office (She was assassinated in 2007).
“I am not the first woman to give birth.”
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern took office in October 2017 and gave birth to her first child in late June with partner Clarke Gayford. She returned to work 6 weeks later.
Paid Parental Leave Policies Abroad
- Of theA 193 UN countries, only the U.S., New Guinea, Suriname, & a few S. Pacific island nations lack a national paid parental leave law.
- Last month, NZ increased its policy from 18 to 22 weeks.
- In the UK, new parents get up to 39 weeks (nearly 10 months) of paid parental leave.
In America, 10 women have given birth while in Congress. One of them, Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), gave birth while serving in the House of Representatives and then became the FIRST woman to give birth while serving in the Senate.
- Jacinda Ardern returns to work after maternity leave: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-45046484/jacinda-ardern-returns-to-work-after-maternity-leave
- ‘I am not the first woman to give birth’: Jacinda Ardern returns to work a\u0013 video: https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2018/aug/02/i-am-not-the-first-woman-to-give-birth-says-jacinda-ardern-as-she-returns-to-work-video
- Fast Facts: Maternity leave policies across the globe:
- OECD Parental Leave Systems: https://www.oecd.org/els/soc/PF21Parentalleavesystems.pdf
- The first congresswoman to give birth in office was no stranger to breaking boundaries:A
by Jenna Lee,