GO FUND MY
(fill in the blank)
GoFundMe (GFM), the globe’s largest crowdfunding website hosts 10,000 new campaigns every day and has raised more than $5 billion bucks since it launched in 2010.
Got a cause, goal, or bill to pay?
- Who: Users create a campaign & solicit donations from the public.
- What:A Funds are raised for anything from memorials to charities, parties, and more.A A A A #1 CAUSE: Medical bills.A
- How:A In 2017, GFM stopped taking a 5% fee for personal funds.A There is still a 2.9% processing fee & a 30 cent fee for every donation. Users may also tip.
Top Three Large$t GoFundMe Campaigns
$21.9 million: Time’s Up Legal (sexual assault / harassment) Defense Fund
$11.8 million: 2017 Las Vegas Shooting Victims Fund
$7.8 million: 2016 Pulse Nightclub Shooting Victims Fund
“The biggest surprise is how much positivity there is in the world. News cycles and the social web often present a barrage of negativity. Yet I’ve been surprised by just how much people are compassionate, sympathetic, and empathetic a they genuinely want to help.”
GoFundMe CEO Rob Solomon
The GoFundMe page for newly fired FBI agent Peter Strzok has raised more than $380K+ since it launched on Monday. Although GoFundMe campaigns cannot be used anonymously, sometimes it is difficult to know exactly who is behind a campaign.
- Press & Media:
- Focus on key priorities – Q&A with GoFundMe”s CEO Rob Solomon: https://blog.wepay.com/2018/07/18/focus-on-key-priorities-qa-with-gofundmes-ceo-rob-solomon/
- People Are Raising $650 Million On GoFundMe Each Year To Attack Rising Healthcare Costs:
- GoFundMe used to charge US personal campaigns, but doesn’t anymore. Here’s why the CEO thinks it’s a good model to follow:
by Jenna Lee,