YOUR TAX DOLLAR$ AT WORK
Estimated costs to date in direct/indirect expenses of the “Mueller” Special Counsel investigation.
Here’s what we’ve learned from the investigation aimed at protecting America’s democracy.
- Pres. Trump’s one-time campaign manager, Paul Manafort:A first indicted by Special Counsel & first to be found guilty by a jury.
- Manafort convicted of 8 felonies – none relating to the 2016 election OR Russian meddling.
- Pres. Trump’s fmr lawyer, Michael Cohen:A first to plead guilty to charges resulting from a reported referral from the Special Counsel.
WHY IT MATTERS:
Manafort’s convictions haveA ZERO to do with Pres. Trump or election.
Cohen pleaded guilty to 8 felonies, incl 2 campaign finance charges related to 2016 election. Prosecutor said he “worked to pay money to silence two women who had information that he believed would be detrimental to the 2016 campaign…”
MANAFORT:A faces up to 80 years behind bars. He also faces another trial in D.C. next month.
COHEN:A sentencing slated for December. He faces 3 – 5 yrs in prison.
What it means for President Trump? TBD
“Cohen … is more than happy to tell the Special Counsel all that he knows – not just about the obvious possibility of a conspiracy to collude and corrupt the American democracy system in the 2016 election…”
Michael Cohen's attorney, Lanny Davis. Davis is best known for serving in the Clinton White House.
Pres. Trump called the Manafort trial a “witch hunt and disgrace.” He has yet to speak publicly about Cohen’s case. Meanwhile, the Special Counsel’s investigation is entering its sixteenth month as WSJ reports of Russian hacking ahead of the 2018 midterm elections.
- Is the Mueller probe costing $20 million, as Donald Trump says?: https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2018/may/23/donald-trump/mueller-probe-costing-20-million-donald-trump-says/
- Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort guilty of 8 charges; mistrial declared on 10 others:
- Ex-Trump lawyer Cohen pleads guilty in hush-money scheme: https://apnews.com/74aaf72511d64fceb1d64529207bde64/Ex-Trump-lawyer-Cohen-pleads-guilty-in-hush-money-scheme
- Robert Khuzami Statement on Michael Cohen Case:
- Trump decries Manafort verdict, says Mueller investigation a ‘disgrace’:A
- Cohen’s lawyer says Trump told Cohen to commit a crime: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-cohen-lawyer/cohens-lawyer-says-trump-told-cohen-to-commit-a-crime-idUSKCN1L62A0
by Jenna Lee,