A DRINK a Day Keeps The Doctor Away?
Can alcohol prevent heart attacks & strokes?
New gov’t study may once and for all set the record straight about whether or not a drink a day is good for you, but it’s not without a splash of controversy.
- $100M study by the U.S. Govt’s National Institutes of Health.
- 7,800 men & women.
- Aged 50 and older.
- Half will be told not to drink, half are allowed 1A serving of alcohol a day -A of any type they choose.
- Tracked for 6 years on average.
hold up… WE’RE SPENDING HOW MUCH?
‘We were supposed to be preventing alcoholism, so to spend that kind of money on research for a possible good use of alcohol was something that would never fly.”
Dr. Lorraine Gunzerath, Retired from NIH's National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcohol to NYT, 3/17/18
So How’d They Pay For It?
Turns outA 5 large beer and liquor companies a Anheuser-Busch InBev, Heineken, Carlsberg, DiageoA & Pernod Ricard a agreed to contribute $67M of the $100M cost of the study.
N.I.H. courted the alcohol industry for donations, according to the NYT.
Uh-Oh That Seems
Like A No-No
The fundraising may have violated N.I.H. policy, which prohibits employees from soliciting or suggesting donations, funds or other resources intended to support activities.
At the very least, it may raise questions about the scientific integrity of the trial.
‘If anyone has any doubt whatsoever that our intent is to provide the most accurate and precise description of our findings, they are sorely mistaken.”
Dr. Kenneth Mukamal, Lead Investigator of the Study & Assoc. Professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School to NYT, 03/17/18
The N.I.H. is now investigating the fundraising outreach. Nevertheless, the NYT reports the study “may well be the last word on the subject of moderate drinking, since trials like these are both expensive and logistically complicated to carry out.”
- NYT: Federal Agency CourtedA Alcohol Industry toA Fund Study on BenefitsA of Moderate Drinking
Scientists and National Institute of Health officials waged aA concerted campaign to obtain funding from the alcohol industryA or research that may enshrine alcohol as a part of a healthy diet.
- NYT: N.I.H. is now investigating outreach to the alcohol industry: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/health/mukamal-alcohol-nih-funding.html
- M.A.C.H. 15 (Moderate Alcohol Cardiovascular Health) clinical study’s website:
- How many drinks are too many per week? https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/12/28/how-many-alcoholic-drinks-too-many-per-week/822604001/
- Alcohol Facts & Stats from NIH’s NIAAA: https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-facts-and-statistics
by Jenna Lee,