… we support a full investigation into this tragic event.International Cinematographers Guild in a statement on the death caused by a prop gun fired on set by actor Alec Baldwin.
- Actor Alec Baldwin (63) fired a prop gun on the set of a new western movie in production in Santa Fe, New Mexico, killing the cinematographer and injuring the director of photography.
- After the prop gun was fired, cinematographer Halyna Hutchens (42), whom American Cinematographer had named a “rising star” in 2019, was airlifted to a hospital where she was pronounced dead due to her injuries.
- Director of photography Joel Souza (48) was taken to a medical center by ambulance.
- No charges have yet been filed as the investigation remains active and ongoing. Baldwin appeared at the Santa Fe sheriff’s office voluntarily for interviews, according to the Santa Fe sheriff’s spokesperson.
- Big Picture: Prop guns fire blanks and gunpowder to create a bang; if fired at close range, however, the plastic or paper wadding released from the barrel of the gun can be lethal. This tragic event on the set of a film is not the first of its kind. In 1993, Bruce Lee’s son died while filming a movie when a prop gun was fired and released a projectile fragment.
Alec Baldwin released a statement Friday on his Twitter feed:
“There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours. I’m fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occurred … I am in touch with her husband, offering my support to him and his family. My heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna.”
by Jenna Lee,