I think there was some complacency on this set.Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza, in an update on the investigation into a fatal shooting by actor Alec Baldwin on the New Mexico movie set of “Rust.”
- The sheriff and district attorney both emphasized the investigation is active and continuing, but it was confirmed that the fatal shooting happened during rehearsal of a scene.
- Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed by a shot fired by actor Alec Baldwin; director Joel Souza was injured.
- The sheriff also emphasized a limited amount of people were actually in the vicinity of the incident – 16 of the approximately 100 people on the set.
- 500 rounds of ammunition – which included a mix of blanks, dummies and live ammunition – were found on set.
- The sheriff said everyone is cooperating with the investigation, providing statements and interviews.
- The district attorney noted this a complex case with very little legal precedent.
- During a roughly 20-minute news conference, the sheriff did receive questions about whether target practice or any other reckless behaviors were taken on the set. The sheriff said he had also heard those reports and is including them in the investigation.
Why It Matters: While the fatal shooting took place a week ago, exactly how it transpired remains a mystery – and future charges remain TBD.
Click HERE to watch our 3-minute take from the Santa Fe County Sherriff’s press coference
by Jenna Lee,