We are opening 100 buildings this month alone across new fulfillment and sortation centers, delivery stations, and other sites.
- The new hiring announcements follows a pattern: “Amazon, the second-largest private employer in the U.S. behind Walmart, added 175,000 warehouse workers in March and April, 125,000 of whom it intends to keep permanently. Last week, it announced 33,000 vacancies for corporate and technology positions.” (WSJ)
- New jobs: part/full-time, for $15 an hour with potential signing bonuses in some cities of up to $1,000.
- Amazon isn’t the only one: UPS is also adding 100,000 jobs to handle seasonal work. 35% of those hired for seasonal work stayed on with the company.
Why It Matters: While massive job cuts continue to hit the U.S. economy (airlines, retailers), shipping remains a beneficiary of the times.
- Interesting fact: Amazon now sits in the top three as Americans highest valued companies: Apple, Amazon, Microsoft.
- Here’s how to visit Amazon’s virtual job fair Wednesday Sept 16: https://www.amazoncareerday.com/
by Jenna Lee,