February 2, 2022
I can’t be perfectly predictive about how this is going to go, and it’s precisely because we can’t be perfectly predictive that we want to be prepared.Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby on the United States sending nearly 3,000 soldiers to Eastern Europe in support of NATO.
- Approx. 1,000 U.S. forces currently based in Germany moving to Romania. Roughly 2,000 U.S. troops deploying from North Carolina to Germany and Poland. Announced Wednesday, this deployment does not include the 8,500 troops the U.S. put on alert last week.
- This announcement from the Pentagon comes amid continued concern of Russia invading Ukraine, as it has built up over 100,000 troops near its border with Ukraine.
- However, the story is bigger than just Eastern Europe. The Pentagon reported Wednesday that Russia is also adding forces in the North Atlantic and the Mediterranian.
- Writer/journalist Hollie McKay has traveled to Ukraine to get an on-the-ground perspective of life in a country at the center of tensions between Russia, the U.S. and the greater NATO alliance.
- Hollie provided this report right before the news broke that America was sending additional troops to Europe to support NATO allies.
Here’s a 90 second highlight reel from Wednesday’s 50-minute Pentagon briefing:
by Jenna Lee,