April 11, 2021
“This vaccine may be a good vaccine in terms of covering all different types of strains.”Dir. of Emerging Infectious Diseases Branch, Dr. Kayvon Modjarrad, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, on the Army testing a new Covid-19 vaccine.
- Researchers say the vaccine has shown immunity in animal tests (monkeys) agains the new coronavirus.
- The Army is looking to start a human trial on Tuesday with just over 70 individuals.
- The vaccine does not use a previously existing virus or mRNA technology but has developed a new way to present the identifying coronavirus “spike” protein to the body to build immunity.
- Dr. Modjarrad believes this vaccine may also work as a booster against newly discovered variants.
- Why It Matters: More than 200 vaccines are under production and many follow untraditional paths (for example – nasal sprays or liquid).
by Jenna Lee,