We had a historic moment in our state’s modern history. For the first time in more than 100 years, the Assembly is undertaking an impeachment investigation of a sitting governor.New York Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie on the growing impeachment probe of NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo after repeated claims of sexual harassment and assault.
- While the impeachment efforts have taken center stage, the process is somewhat unpredictable. The New York State Assembly has taken the first steps towards that process – in a potential timeline that spans several weeks to several months.
- Democrat leaders say a substantial investigative report by the NY attorney general detailing allegations of 11 women against the governor is not enough *on its own* to start the impeachment proceedings.
- The investigative report says the governor violated state and federal law.
- Several district attorneys are exploring criminal investigations – at least one woman has officially filed a criminal complaint.
- The governor denies any allegations of misconduct.
Why It Matters: With more accusers coming forward to tell their stories about the New York governor, questions swirl around a possible resignation. The potential impeachment process could temporarily remove the governor from office, but could be several weeks away.
Gov. Cuomo’s former executive assistant tells her story for the first time on camera (she has filed a criminal complaint against the governor).
by Jenna Lee,