We are evaluating the threat situations.
- Under Secretary of Defense for Policy John Rood spoke to Congress Thursday.
- He affirmed 14,000 additional U.S. forces were sent to the Middle East this year to counter growing threats from Iran.
- Rood did not specify how many more U.S. troops could deploy, but confirmed consideration of more forces being sent to the region.
- Context: Upwards of 80,000 U.S. troops are deployed to the Middle East at any time.
- Why It Matters: Reflects heightened concern about Iran after a series of attacks this year (bombing of an oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz and bombing of a Saudi oil company).
Top Pentagon Official Tells Senators More Troops Might Be Sent to Mideast
US considers sending more troops to the Middle East amidst Iranian threat: top Pentagon official
by Jenna Lee,