October 27, 2020
Enforcement at this time is going to be very necessary.
- El Paso’s hospitals have experienced a 300% increase of patients in *less* than 3 weeks related to the COVID pandemic.
- The city issued a new stay-at-home request, with the exception of essential travel or work.
- Curfews are in place from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Masks are required.
- Violations range from $250 – $500.
- The city will open extra hospital beds in a civic center and some patients are reportedly being airlifted to other locations to clear room in the hospitals
- Why It Matters: While America is experiencing a surge in COVID cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, El Paso serves as a microcosm of one city uniquely impacted by a sudden increase. Time will tell if it is a unique outlier or a canary in the coal mine for other cities.
by Jenna Lee,