This is epic.Expert on internet networks Doug Madory, Kentik Inc., on a major Facebook outage.
- Facebook and its properties, Instagram and WhatsApp, experienced an ongoing outage on Monday.
- This is the longest known outage the company has experienced since 2008.
- The source of the outage is not known at this time.
- Reports include hacking to human error.
- *Some* service appears to have returned around 5 pm cst. More to come/Developing.
Why It Matters: Roughly 3 out of every 7 people on the planet participate on a Facebook platform. The outage has worldwide impact for individuals and businesses.
Quick Video From Jenna on the latest:
It also showed that, despite the presence of Twitter, Telegram, Signal, TikTok, Snapchat and a bevy of other platforms, nothing can truly replace the social network that has evolved in 17 years into all but critical infrastructure.
Join us on our YouTube channel for more reporting and our regular Coffee Talk if this outage continues!
by Jenna Lee,