While COVID-19 diagnostic tests have been authorized for at-home collection, this is the first that can be fully self-administered and provide results at home.
- How it works: A test-taker swabs inside their nose, puts the sample in a vial and will get results in 30 minutes. Here’s what it looks like and the company’s website.
- How accurate is it?: The test boasts solid accuracy (although so far no test is 100%) catching 94% of all positive cases, and 98% of all negative cases.
- How much does it cost? Lucira, the test maker, says the test will cost approximately $50.
- Who can use it? Those 14-years-old and older with a prescription.
- Where can you buy it? It’s not available yet but hopefully will be in the spring (if not sooner in certain states like California and Florida). The U.S. gov’t says it stands ready to help boost manufacturing.
- Why It Matters: Since health experts believe COVID-19 can spread through asymptomatic people, and the disease has a long incubation period before symptoms surface after exposure, the availability of a test like this will add another tool for citizens to keep themselves, and others, healthy.
CLICK HERE to read more
Here’s the approval of emergency use authorization by the FDA
by Jenna Lee,