July 6, 2021
I can’t wait to see the piece of paper that says this is safe to fly and safe to sell.Senior research fellow in avionics and aircraft at the University of West England, Dr. Stephen Wright, on the AirCar’s first inter-city flight
- A flying car, known as the AirCar, completed a test flight on June 28. It was the first successful inter-city trip, going from Nitra to Bratislava, Slovakia, in 35 minutes. By car, the trip would take just over an hour or so.
- Following the test flight, the vehicle landed and transformed into a car (the transformation takes 2 minutes and 15 seconds) and was immediately driven through downtown Bratislava.
- The driver, Professor Stefan Klein, is the creator of the AirCar. He has spent the last 20 years developing flying cars, and in 2017 he co-founded KleinVision with entrepreneur and friend Anton Zajoc.
- The AirCar is built with a BMW engine and is fueled by regular petrol-pump (gas) fuel. The vehicle has clocked around 40 hours total in the air.
- Why it matters: “This flight starts a new era of dual transportation vehicles. It opens a new category of transportation and returns the freedom originally attributed to cars back to the individual,” said Professor Klein upon exiting the cockpit after the flight.
Click here to watch the milestone event on KleinVision’s Instagram page.
by Jenna Lee,