While vaccine development continues, it’s important to advance every promising treatment option to improve the odds for those who become sick.
- FDA commissioners (Mark McClellan, Margaret Hamburg, Robert Califf and Scott Gottlieb) want to shine a spotlight on the need for strong, quick scientific trials on convalescent plasma treatment for COVID-19.
- Convalescent plasma basics: someone who recovered from an infection can share their blood plasma with immune boosting antibodies with someone of the same blood type struggling with the same infection.
- Currently about 80,000+ Americans are involved in the trial.
- History: Treatment use: “against the flu in 1918 as well as SARS, Ebola, meningitis and measles.”
- Why It Matters: In the past, convalescent plasma has been used to treat a range of infections/diseases. The FDA commissioners argue the U.S. has been a leader in plasma treatment, and should be so as well with strong scientific trials to prove whether it can work for COVID-19.
How to donate: Helpful Link
Dr. Darria shares with SmartHER News why blood matters in new COVID-19 research and convalescent plasma treatment. Promising News on COVID-19?
by Jenna Lee,