As social media rumors swirl about her personal life, Britney Spears officially asks a California court to restrict the role of her father in her affairs.
Why & What To Know
"We are now at a point where the conservatorship must be changed substantially in order to reflect the major changes in her current lifestyle and her stated wishes."
Samuel D. Ingham III, attorney for Britney Spears, on Tuesday asking the courts to prevent her father, Jamie Spears, from returning to his role as her sole conservator after he had temporarily stepped aside last year. Mr. Spears is expected to challenge this request.
What Is A Conservator?
There are many different types of conservatorships (aka guardianships) and specifics vary by state, but generally …
- A conservator is appointed to manage a person’s finances, personal affairs (ex: healthcare decisions), or both.
- When someone can’t manage their finances or care for themselves, a court may appoint them a conservator *after* conducting an investigation & hearing.
- After a public “breakdown” 2007-2008, a court appointed Britney Spears’ dad and attorney as co-conservators over BOTH her personal affairs and finances.
- Britney later described that breakdown as partly due to too many people trying to control every aspect of her life.
- At the time of this latest court filing, Britney’s dad doesn’t have a legal role in her personal affairs but does over her finances.
- Concerns over Spears’ mental health have existed for years. Recently the #FreeBritney movement gained steam.
- Some fans speculated, without evidence, that some of her social media posts signal a cry for help.
- Spears has rarely commented directly on her conservatorship, so her public court filing is a marked change.
- Spears wants to cut ties with her dad in a legal sole supervisory role of any kind.
"All these conspiracy theorists don't know anything. The world don't have a clue… It's up to the court of California to decide what's best for my daughter. It's no one else's business."
Britney’s dad, Jamie Spears, responding to accusations that he is abusing the conservatorship by restricting her freedom and spending her money without her permission. Britney has not directly responded to the allegations concerning her father or her health.
Britney Spears has sold over 100M records worldwide. Court filings reveal no public performances are imminent by the 38-year-old. Courts regularly review conservatorships to see if they are needed – but anyone, including Britney, can challenge them if they are able.
The Case: CLICK HERE
by Jenna Lee,