October 27, 2021
There is a possibility that the attack, like a previous one on railway system, has been conducted from abroad.Iranian official, Abolhassan Firouzabadi, on a nationwide cyberattack that disrupted gas stations.
- Iranians buy gas at subsidized prices, using a government-issued card to do so. On Tuesday, the card was useless – giving an error code "cyberattack 64411.”
- Firouzabadi, the secretary of the Supreme Council of Cyberspace, said the impact of this attack hit ALL the nation's 4300 gas stations.
- A separate report by a former official says the gas station infrastructure network is "exclusive" and not linked to the internet, raising questions about a domestic attack.
- Iran is a designated state sponsor of terrorism by the U.S. State Dept. for its role in funding and supporting terrorist groups.
- Iran's president said this attack is meant to ignite discord.
- Why It Matters: Regardless of whom or how or why this cyberattack happened, Iran is under immense pressure due to the COVID-19 pandemic and economic sanctions (in an effort to deter the country from pursuing nuclear weapons). This cyberattack adds to a list of challenges confronting the nation and its leadership.
by Jenna Lee,