June 29, 2022
We’re stepping up.Pres. Biden on the U.S. expanding its military presence in Europe — reportedly the largest build-up in decades.
Why It Matters: The expansion of the U.S. military footprint, including a permanent presence in Poland, is both a show of force vs. adversaries (such as Russia) and a sign of solidarity with NATO members.
- Pres. Biden’s statement came during his remarks at the opening of a meeting of NATO.
- NATO = North Atlantic Treaty Organization: the largest military alliance in the world.
- Simply put, the U.S. will add more troops, more equipment, and more permanent presence further east in Europe (closer to the Russian border); the U.S. already has permanent military bases in Germany, Belgium, and Italy.
- NATO is also considering two new members: Sweden and Finland.
- This is a developing story and we expect more details to come.
U.S. to Ramp Up Military Presence in Europe to Counter Russia
FACT SHEET: The 2022 NATO Summit in Madrid
by Jenna Lee,