May 27, 2020
This man’s life matters.
- Police arrested George Floyd for forgery (reportedly using a counterfeit $20 bill) on Monday, May 25, around 8 p.m. in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Police say he resisted arrest and had to be apprehended. A new video shows some footage prior to the arrest.
- A bystander video recorded 10 minutes of the incident as one officer kneeled on Floyd’s neck. In the video, Floyd repeatedly says “I can’t breathe.”
- The four officers at the scene were fired. Floyd’s family says they want the officers criminally charged. Mayor Frey echoed their calls on Wednesday night.
- The medical examiner has not reported a definitive cause of death at this time. CLICK HERE for updates.
- The Minneapolis police chief has asked the FBI to investigate.
- Via Twitter, Pres. Trump announced he’s requested that the FBI and Department of Justice investigate the case: “At my request, the FBI and the Department of Justice are already well into an investigation as to the very sad and tragic death in Minnesota of George Floyd…I have asked for this investigation to be expedited and greatly appreciate all of the work done by local law enforcement. My heart goes out to George’s family and friends. Justice will be served!”
- For a round-up from the local CBS affiliate in Minneapolis: CLICK HERE
LEARN MORE: This is a good overview from national press: READ HERE
by Jenna Lee,