September 7, 2023
This issue will destroy New York City.New York City Mayor Eric Adams (D) in a Town Hall meeting on Wednesday night discussing the influx of people (often referred to as “migrants”) to the city.
- Why It Matters: These candid comments from Mayor Adams underscore the strain of this issue for America's largest city. Mayor Adams, a democrat, squarely criticizes a democrat administration in Washington D.C. (the Biden Administration) and a republican administration in Texas (Gov. Greg Abbott).
- According to Mayor Adams, more than 110,000 people have arrived to New York City's five boroughs since April 2022 – this group of people is often referred to as "migrants" who crossed the U.S. southern border (legally/illegally) without legal status who were allowed to stay for any number of reasons, including seeking asylum.
- Mayor Adams stated, "we’re getting no support on this national crisis, and we’re receiving no support." He also referred to Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) as a "madman" due to the governor's decision to bus individuals with unknown legal statuses to cities such as Washington D.C. and NYC (Texas has sent more than 13,000 individuals from the southwest border to NYC, according to figures recently shared by Gov. Abbott; the first bus of people sent to NYC arrived in August 2022).
- Context: Encounters at the U.S. border have reached historic highs over the last several years; the Texas border remains a major point of entry for those crossing the border illegally, without legal status or permission to be in America. Earlier this week, Gov. Abbott shared on X, formerly known as Twitter, that "Texas has bused over 35,000 migrants to self-declared sanctuary cities. … Our busing mission provides critical relief to overwhelmed Texas border towns."
- P.S. Sanctuary City = "While there is no legal definition for sanctuary policies, the term is applied to jurisdictions that limit cooperation with federal immigration authorities, such as failing to provide information about immigration status and limiting the length of immigration detainers." MORE
by Jenna Lee,