February 6, 1952
Queen Elizabeth II Ascended To The British Throne
69 years ago, following the death of her father, Elizabeth became queen at age 25.
In 2007, at 81, she became the oldest British monarch, beating a record set by Queen Victoria (her paternal great-great-grandmother).
In 2015, at 88, she became the world’s oldest reigning monarch. Months later, she passed Queen Victoria again, and became Britain’s longest-reigning monarch.
The Queen & Her Jewels
- Among her many royal crowns & tiaras, one of the Queen’s most-worn pieces is the Vladimir Tiara.
- The tiara was originally crafted for a Russian Duchess, and smuggled out of Russia between 1917-1920.
- Queen Mary, the Queen’s grandmother, bought the tiara in 1921 & added the ability to switch out the jewels; besides its diamonds, the Queen may also add emeralds or pearls.
“Each day is a new beginning, I know that the only way to live my life is to try to do what is right, to take the long view, to give of my best in all that the day brings, and to put my trust in God.”
Queen Elizabeth II during The Queen’s Christmas Broadcast in 2002, reflecting on 50 years of her reign.
Queen Elizabeth will turn 95 years old this spring. She and her husband, Prince Philip, the 99-year-old Duke of Edinburgh, both received COVID-19 vaccines last month.
Queen Elizabeth II: The Life And Legacy Of Britain’s Longest-Serving Monarch: https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2018/12/04/queen-elizabeth-life-legacy
- Queen Elizabeth celebrates 65 years on the throne: https://www.dw.com/en/queen-elizabeth-celebrates-65-years-on-the-throne/a-37400289
- 8 things you didnat know about Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II:
- Queen Elizabeth has been carrying her Launer handbag for 50 years:
- Christmas Broadcast 2002:
- Vladimir Tiara: https://www.tatler.com/article/vladimir-tiara-everything-you-need-to-know http://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2019/07/the-vladimir-tiara.html
- A look at some of the most famous Royal tiaras: https://www.marieclaire.com.au/british-royal-tiaras
by Jenna Lee,