April 26, 2021
The full moon is the first of two supermoons for 2021.NASA’s Gordon Johnson on the first full moon of 2021: a pink “supermoon.”
- It’s not actually pink. It’s named for the pink wildflower species, Phlox subulata, that blooms around this time of year. Old Farmer’s Almanac: “The moon will be its usual golden color near the horizon and fade to a bright white as it glides overhead.”
- Its the first of two Super Moons in 2021, which occur when the “full moon is at its closest approach to Earth in its orbit.” They’re bigger and brighter than an average full moon.
- The Pink Moon is known by several other names: the Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon, and some Native American tribes called it the Fish Moon as it showed up the same time of year a certain type of fish swam upstream to spawn.
- Miss it tonight? No worries. It will still be almost full on Tuesday night, and another Super Moon will be visible exactly a month from now.
- Why it matters: Because it’s just plain cool. Plus, who doesn’t need a “pink moon” in their life…even if it’s not actually pink?
Here’s a little more background from USA Today
by Jenna Lee,