MAGA Republicans do not respect the Constitution. They do not believe in the rule of law. They do not recognize the will of the people.President Biden during a speech delivered in Philadelphia: “The Continued Battle For The Soul of the Nation.”
Why It Matters: The President squarely addressed supporters of President Trump (who he called MAGA Republicans) as a threat to America.
- President Biden denounced political violence and said "MAGA Republicans" are attempting to subvert elections.
- MAGA — Make America Great Again. The Republican campaign slogan for the 2016 Presidential election.
- President Biden delivered the speech at Independence National Historical Park, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Independence Hall was in the background of his speech, and is the building where the Declaration of Independence and U.S. Constitution were signed.
Notable excerpt from The Associated Press: "The explicit effort by Biden to marginalize Trump and his followers marks a sharp recent turn for the president, who preached his desire to bring about national unity in his Inaugural address."
Some excerpts and link to the speech:
- "Donald Trump and the MAGA Republicans represent an extremism that threatens the very foundations of our republic."
- "MAGA forces are determined to take this country backwards — backwards to an America where there is no right to choose, no right to privacy, no right to contraception, no right to marry who you love."
- "They promote authoritarian leaders, and they fan the flames of political violence that are a threat to our personal rights, to the pursuit of justice, to the rule of law, to the very soul of this country."
- President Trump's response: “Someone should explain to Joe Biden, slowly but passionately, that MAGA means, as powerfully as mere words can get, MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! If he doesn’t want to Make America Great Again, which through words, action, and thought, he doesn’t, then he certainly should not be representing the United States of America!” (WSJ)
by Jenna Lee,