We’re gonna restore your trust in what we do here.Rep. Mike Johnson (R) of Louisiana said on Tuesday after being selected as the latest nominee for Speaker of the House.
Why It Matters: Republicans selected Rep. Mike Johnson of Louisiana as their latest nominee in the race for House speaker in a late Tuesday night vote after the previous pick, Rep. Tom Emmer (R-MN), withdrew. This makes Rep. Johnson the fourth Republican nominee since officials ousted Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) three weeks ago. At age 51, Rep. Johnson has been a member of the House of Representatives since 2016.
What’s Next: The House floor vote is expected to occur on Wednesday, and Rep. Johnson will need almost all Republican votes to win the position.
In a speech on Tuesday, Rep. Johnson said “Democracy is messy sometimes, but it is our system. This conference that you see, this House Republican majority, is united.”
Who is Mike Johnson?
- A Republican Congressman representing Louisiana’s Fourth District in his fourth term.
- Earned his bachelor’s and law degree from Louisiana State University and practiced constitutional law for almost 20 years.
- Vice chairman of the House Republican Conference.
- Deputy Whip for House Republicans.
- Former chairman of the Republican Study Committee.
- Known as an ally to President Donald Trump, he served on President Trump’s impeachment defense team.
G.O.P Nominates Mike Johnson for Speaker After Spurning Emmer (The New York Times)
by Sarah Pinkerton,