May 2, 2021
Every indication from our perspective was this was a smuggling vesselU.S. Border Patrol Agent Jeff Stephenson, on a capsized boat off the California coast; 3 people died, 27 hospitalized.
- Context: Customs and Border Protection just issued THIS PRESS RELEASE on Friday, April 30th, suggesting a rising trend in "maritime" smuggling operations off the coast of San Diego.
- Sunday May 2nd: A capsized vessel off the coast of San Diego near the border led to a rescue operation with local life guards, Coast Guard and Border Protection.
- “Once we arrived on scene, the boat had basically been broken apart. Conditions were pretty rough: 5 to 6 feet of surf, windy, cold.” San Diego Lifeguard Services Lt. Rick Romero.
- 27 people were transported to the hospital with a variety of injuries.
- Why It Matters: We expect Customs & Border Protection to release new numbers about activity at the U.S. Southern Border for the month of April. After a record-breaking month in March for border apprehensions, the April numbers will provide further context. While the focus remains on land-crossings at the border, this story serves as a reminder about challenges overall for Border Patrol.
Read more HERE from The Associated Press.
by Jenna Lee,