"Whether overseas or right here at home in D.C., we didn’t think a we just knew we needed to act. That’s the Marine in all of us."
Marine Capt. Trey Gregory, who rushed into a senior public housing complex in DC alongside fellow Marines and firefighters to rescue residents. 10 people had minor injuries but everyone survived. The DC Fire Chief said that might not have been the case without the Marines.
"This shy lady walks in and sings aI Can’t Make You Love Me’ and the show turned into full color.”
Simon Cowell, speaking about Carrie Underwood's audition at American Idol 14 years ago as he honored the Country Music Star receiving her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
"… the world would start to rot."
University of Delaware entomologist Doug Tallamy on why we need non-pest insects, like ladybugs, bees, fireflies, moths, and butterflies. While challenging to research and quantify, scientists say they see signs these type of insects are on the decline, but they don't know why; mosquitoes and tic populations appear just fine.
“She wishes to testify, provided that we can agree on terms that are fair and which ensure her safety. A hearing on Monday is not possible and the committee’s insistence that it occur then is arbitrary…”
Christine Ford’s lawyer responding to Sen. Chuck Grassley’s deadline on whether she’ll testify Monday about her allegation that SCOTUS nominee Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her in the 1980s. According to AP, Ford’s atty said she would testify Thursday instead, but no official decision has been made.
“What’s going to happen after fentanyl?"
Dr. Hawre Jalal of the University of Pittsburgh, on a recent study he co-authored that examined drug overdose statistics over a 38-year period. According to the study, while America is hyper-focused on the opioid epidemic, our drug overdose problem is far more wide-ranging and complex than any one drug. Nearly 600,000 Americans died from a drug overdose from 1979 – 2016.
“The power of food is more than just the meal itself- it is the story behind it. And when you get to know the story of the recipe, you get to know the person behind it.”
HRH Meghan Markle, The Duchess of Sussex, at the launch lunch of aTogether: Our Community Cookbook’ celebrating the Hubb community kitchen, which was created by a diverse group of London women displaced after a horrific high rise apartment fire in 2017.
Have a great weekend!
- “These are our neighbors”: Marines pulled D.C. seniors to safety as their homes burnedA
- Pregnant Carrie Underwood Tearfully Thanks Husband Mike Fisher and Son During Walk of Fame Ceremony
- Bye bye bugs? Scientists fear non-pest insects are declining: https://apnews.com/eccd411638994db6b5388c052c00dd3b
- Drug overdose deaths in America are rising exponentially: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/drug-overdose-deaths-america-are-rising-exponentially
- Kavanaugh accuser won’t testify Monday but open to doing so later next week: www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-brett-kavanaugh-accuser-congress-20180920-story.html
- Kavanaugh”s accuser says she would testify under right terms:
- More Than 50 Protestors Opposing Kavanaugh’s Confirmation Have Been Arrested: time.com/5402542/protestors-kavanaugh-confirmation-arrests/
- Kavanaugh accuser willing to testify next week under certain conditions, lawyer says:
- Feds say they lost track of 1,488 migrant children: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/migrant-children-health-and-human-services-lost-track-1488-children-today-2018-09-19/
- Kensington Royal Instgram Account:
by Jenna Lee,