Most of us will set our clocks an hour forward on Sunday at 2 a.m.
HINT: It has nothing to do with helping farmers.
3 Things To Know About Daylight Saving Time (DST)
- Not intended to make longer days for farmers, but rather to help conserve energy used for light/heat (coal) during WWI.
- The need for DST has always been a topic of debate. Today, about 70 countries observe DST – that’s less than 40% of world.
- Daylight saving time lasts 8 months. Standard time lasts 4 months.
- Federal gov’t mandated daylight saving time (DST) in 1918 during WWI, & again during WWII.
- 1966: Congress standardized DST start & end dates requiring observing states to be in sync, but allowed states to opt out.
- 2005: Congress re-set the start of DST to the 2nd Sunday in March & set the end for the 1st Sunday in November.
Did You Know?
States are not required to observe DST, but congressional approval is required to keep year-round daylight saving time
- Nine states have passed laws to keep year-round (permanent) daylight saving time, which await Congress’ approval.
- Two states – Arizona (except Navajo territories) and Hawaii – as well as five major U.S. territories, don’t observe DST & keep year-round standard time.
“I prefer Daylight Savings over Standard but in the end what I really want is to end this stupid twice a year time shift. Let’s #LockTheClock“
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) who has introduced two federal bills since 2018 to eliminate the time shift and make daylight saving time permanent. President Trump has also voiced his support for keeping year-round daylight saving time.
Changing our clocks was controversial from the beginning with complaints about BIG gov’t. According to a 2019 poll by the Associated Press, less than a third of people like switching the clocks twice each year. What would you prefer? See if your state has pending legislation on our source page.
- Daylight Saving Time
- CHECK HERE TO SEE THE STATUS OF YOUR STATE: Daylight Saving Time | State Legislation
- How daylight saving time works and why these states want to ditch the time change https://abcnews.go.com/US/daylight-saving-time-works-states-ditch/story?id=53580572
- 8 Things You May Not Know About Daylight Saving Time
- Pres. Trump Twitter
- Daylight Saving Time vs Standard Time
by Jenna Lee,