February 7, 2022
Russia could now seize any city in Ukraine.Ukraine’s former defense minister, Andriy Zagorodnyuk, on Russia’s current forces at the country’s border.
- This weekend, reports circulated from unnamed U.S. officials on Russia’s potential to invade Ukraine, estimating the Russians have 70% of their forces in position for a full invasion – these forces could take the Ukrainian capital within 48 hours.
- Monday – The new German chancellor will meet with Pres. Biden at the White House. In Russia, France’s President Macron will meet with Russian president Vladimir Putin. A day later, Macron will travel to Ukraine.
- Russia plans to begin military drills later this week that some fear could be part of the invasion.
- Russia continues to accuse the U.S. and others of stoking tensions.
- Why It Matters: While we continue to receive reports of potential invasion, diplomacy continues among world leaders.
by Jenna Lee,