January 12, 2021
I do not believe that such a course of action is in the best interest of our Nation or consistent with our Constitution.
- 25th Amendment: Under the 25th Amendment, the Vice President and a majority of the President’s Cabinet may declare the President unfit, allowing the Vice President to become acting president.
- On Tuesday, the House debated a resolution calling on the Vice President to invoke the 25th based on Pres. Trump’s inability to “successfully discharge the duties and powers of his office” because of his words and actions surrounding the U.S. Capitol riot.
- The resolution is expected to pass, but it does not have power to force the Vice President to invoke the 25th.
- Explaining his decision, the Vice President wrote that “the 25th Amendment is not a means of punishment or usurpation. Invoking the 25th in such manner would set a terrible precedent.”
- Impeachment: On Wednesday, the House is expected to vote in favor of an article of impeachment charging Pres. Trump with “incitement of insurrection,” citing his words and actions regarding the U.S. Capitol riot.
- At least three House Republicans are expected to vote in favor of impeachment: Reps. Liz Cheney (R-WY), Adam Kinzinger (R-IL), and John Katko (R-NY).
by Jenna Lee,